Monday, May 15, 2006

A Faster, Shorter Tempo Run

Tonight was warm, overcast and a humid 27C/81F as I headed out the door for a tempo run. I was wearing my new black Asics GT2110 running shoes and new short running shorts to test.

I quickly picked up the pace my first 4 kilometer splits approx. as follows:

KM 1 = 5:30/K (8:51/M)
KM 2 = 5:00/K (8:03/M)
KM 3 = 4:50/K (7:47/M)
KM 4 = 4:45/K (7:39/M)

After kilometer 4 I turned off my regular path so was no longer sure of the kilometer markings. I also slowed down a little as my side was starting to hurt.

I rejoined my normal running trail for the last 3 kilometers

Last KM – 2 = 5:15/K (8:27/M)
Last KM – 1 = 5:00/K (8:03/M) – my side felt better so I picked up the pace again.
Last KM = 5:00/K (8:03/M)

I estimate that I ran a total of about 8.4K (5.2M), give or take a few hundred meters. In any case, a tempo run at almost 10K race pace.

I had Matt over at igotblistersonmyblisters ask me if I do any weight training as part of my cross-training. When I’m not tapering I try to do this at least twice a week, yes. It is not my favorite thing to do, so I am not as regular as I should be. I work primarily with free weights (low weight, more rep’s) and do lots of push-ups, crunches, sit-ups, and such. The main reason I use free weights is because the fitness studio fees are more than I can justify paying at the present time, not because I necessarily prefer them.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?