Thursday, April 06, 2006

A 14K Tempo Run

Yesterday after work it was a cooler 7C/45F as I headed out for a 14K/8.7M run. My goal was a 5:30/K (8:51/M) tempo run, but I slowed down the last 4 kilometres so ended up with an average pace of 5:38/K (9:04/M). After the roughly 10K point I decided I should slow down a little and save my legs for the 2:45:00 hour long run in the hills tonight after work.

During my run last night I could feel that my legs have not totally recovered from my long run and race last weekend, but I don’t think this will be a factor in my long run tonight. Worse will be the mental fatigue from working all day and then running so long. But this will be good training for the mental battle of my first 50K run in May, right!?

p.s. For you geeks who like table and statistics, I created a couple tables with my personal best times and all the races that I have run. You can either click here or on the link "My Races & Personal Best's" on the right link bar. This page also includes links to all my race reports for the races that I ran (at least since I started blogging). Have a great day!

Comments:
Running while still being tired from previous efforts is part and parcel of the game. It takes several days to recover from a hard workout, but you can't wait several days after each before you go out again. Hence, running on tired legs is sometimes unavoidable.

And I agree, the mental part of the training is going to be very important. The longer the race distance, the more important the mental aspect.

Just don't overdo it.
 
Yay for 50k in May!! Keep us posted, I wish you best in training, and enjoy the process!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?