Thursday, February 02, 2006

A Nice Easy Run in a Winter Wonderland!

Today I had a nice warm lunch at our cafeteria at work – they offer prepared meals that are warmed up in a pizza-type oven – much like a frozen TV dinner. The meals don’t taste as good as fresh, but the beef, noodles and mixed veggies entrée provided the needed energy for my run tonight.

It was a frosty, windy, -4C/25F as I left the house around 4:30 p.m. for my 14K/8.7M run. My goal was to run at planned marathon pace which is 6:00/K (9:39/M). I took the first couple kilometers extra slow as I usually speed up too fast at the beginning, but this time I fell right into my planned pace and pretty much maintained it the entire way. I finished with an average pace of 5:55/K (9:31/M), just about right :-)

Tonight I was sure to wear breathable layers, not like last night where I wore a thick cotton jersey that trapped all the moisture. The result was that the moisture was wicked away and even with icicles hanging down from my hat I still remained comfortable the entire run. I also attribute eating more during the day helped aid my body in staying warm as well.

It was really beautiful out when I ran. It has been foggy and cold the last few days which have turned all the trees and bushes a frosty white. We still have a couple inches of snow on the ground, so it is really a pretty picture - I wish I had my camera with me as I ran!

So tomorrow is a rest day and Saturday morning is my 34K/21M long run. I hope it is a bit warmer by then – at least most of the asphalt paths are free of ice, or at least those that I can see from the road.

Comments:
Wow! I certainly hope it warms up for your long run on Saturday. When I was running much further distances, if it was really really cold out I would do 1/2 my long run in the morning and 1/2 in the afternoon. That way I wouldn't get frostbite or sick, but I'd still get the mileage in.
 
Glad you had a good run. Take care & have a great weekend Jack!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?