Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Baking, Bradley's and a Brisk Run

Hey I love Jeanne’s comment yesterday: „He runs…AND he fixes things??? Next thing he’ll be telling us he’s a car mechanic. And a truffle (chocolate) maker…“

I did repair M-1 tanks and Bradley’s in the army, and I can bake a mean pie from scratch (cherry, apple, rhubarb, pumpkin, butternut, blueberry, current, etc.). Jon of course is the RBF truffle maker, don’t forget to place your orders ;-)

By the way, most Germans (and many other Europeans) have no clue what a “pie” is. I had to educate my German wife. How? I baked her an apple pie. Her response – she married me. Well, maybe there was a little more to it than that, but I have baked my share of pies, cakes, and other assorted sweets (I wanted to be a baker when I was young). They taste good by the way, which is another reason that I had to go on a diet and start running. Now I generally try to avoid baking as neither one of us need the calories, and it takes so much time!

Speaking of running (finally!) I ran my 14K/8.7M route tonight. It was a pleasant 4C/39F, raining, muddy, wet and downright pleasant in a non-wintery way. I quickly picked up the pace and played dodge the mud puddle, eventually finishing my run with an average pace of 5:24/K (8:41/M).

Tomorrow night I will repeat the route at a slightly more relaxed pace. If I am feeling good I will tack on a few more miles at the end. Saturday is a medium long run (2 ½ hours) on the schedule and Sunday laps at the pool.

Comments:
See food is the way to anyone's heart. My cherry cheesecake hooked hubby!

As for the running, way to go.
 
ahhh...baking...I used to be a baker. Never any good at pies, though. Baking (and french fries and pizza) got me to gallbladder disease though, so now I can't eat anything that I used to make :(
 
Wow - and I always thought that the Europeans were so much more advanced than us. But life without pie? That stinks.

Glad to hear that the training's going extremely well. I'm stalled on the weight loss thing, but have been getting back into the whole running thing.
 
Oh, you beat me to it Jack! I spilled the beans about your sordid past on my blog, too!! Thanks for the shout-out, and that's one lucky woman there...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?