Monday, January 09, 2006

Bang! Bang! There's hunters in the woods!

Today it was about 1C/34F when I got home from work at 4:05 p.m. I quickly suited up, warmed up and headed out on my 14K/8.7M route. My goal was a comfortable 6:00-6:15/K recovery pace (9:39-10:04/M). It was kind of windy as I started out and the first 5K I ran directly into the wind. This acted as a braking mechanism and I was able to average around 6:10/K for the first 6K or so.

Around the 6K point I made my normal turn into the woods (and out of the wind). I could feel myself picking the pace up slightly, but I felt good so this didn’t bother me too much. After a few minutes I heard gun shots off in the distance…hunters! It was still hunting season! I had my bright orange warning vest on, but the sun had disappeared, so I turned on my blinking armband that I wear. I wished that I had my head lamp about that time - not so much to see, but to be seen!

I picked up the pace and did my best to beat track out of the woods as efficiently as possible. After about 15 minutes, as I was reaching the edge of the woods, I heard more gunshots – but this time they sounded farther away. I guess the hunters were farther off in the other direction. So after leaving the forest I slowed my pace way down as I trotted over the dirt paths along the fields. It was still a bit light out, even though the sun had disappeared for the night. I left my blinking armband on anyway until I got back to town, you never know with hunters.

Even with speeding up through the forest I still managed to keep the average pace almost in the recovery range, 5:52/K (9:26/M). My legs are a little tired and the major leg muscles are tender when I jab them with a finger, may that has something to do with the fact that I just ran a race yesterday and a 30K/19M long run on Friday!

Tomorrow I want to head to the pool and do at least a 1000 meters breast stroke and maybe work on my freestyle if I have any energy left. Wednesday I want to run another 14K run at a slightly faster pace and Saturday morning is a medium long run (24K/15M) on the schedule. If my legs feel good on Thursday night I may run for 45 minutes or do some crosstraining, it will depend on what my wife has planned.

Diet Update

The day before Christmas I was 72 kg/159 lbs. (for about 12 hours). I shot back up to 74 kg/163 lbs. over Christmas and maintained that until yesterday morning. After the race yesterday I ate like a grizzly bear waking up in the spring and was up to 75 kg/165 lbs. this morning.

The good news is that today was the official restart of my diet, my goal is to be back down to 72 kg/159 lbs. by the end of next week. The next step is to bring it down to 70 kg/154 lbs. by the end of the month. My ultimate goal is to bring my weight down to 68 kg/150 lbs. – I don’t know if I can do this when I’m training for a marathon. Anyone who has tried this KNOWS what I’m talking about. In any case it is a good excuse to keep running, right!

Comments:
Glad you escaped harm from the hunters. As for diet, I understand all to well about how trying to decide what to eat for energy and what not to eat to lose can be effected by training. How do you think I got to the mess I'm in...lol.

This too worries me as I will be starting my marathon weeks in March for the race in July.
 
Eek, hunters are scary! Oh, but so is dieting. I'm really looking forward to you solving the entire dilemma about how to eat for training and still lose weight!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?