Friday, January 20, 2006

A 10K Training Run at Marathon Pace

Last night was a comfortable 4C/39F, a little windy, and cloudy. My muscles were kind of stiff so I decided to go for an unscheduled run to loosen up. As the trails are really muddy in the moment, I decided to run a circle through the fields that surround our town. The fields are connected by asphalt or gravel paths, so are excellent when the mud is deep.

When I left the house I really wasn’t sure how far I wanted to run, but I knew I wanted to keep my pace around marathon pace (which is 15-30 seconds slower than my normal 14K/8.7M runs that I do twice during the week). The first 10 minutes or so I was pretty stiff, but then the muscles warmed up and the running felt good. I ended up running around 10K in 59:01, which is really close to my planned 6:00/K marathon pace.

This morning the tightness and soreness in my legs is gone, I’m glad I went for the extra run last night. Today is a rest day, as tomorrow I want to get up at around 6:00 a.m. and run my 32K/20M long run. The weather forecast calls for rain, which usually slows me down some, but the most important goal for tomorrow is time on my feet (3 hours 15 minutes), not necessarily a marathon pace run. I’ll let you know how it goes. Have a nice weekend!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?