Monday, November 28, 2005

A Strong Run in the Rain!

Tonight was my normal 14K/8.7M run on the schedule. It was slightly warmer today at 4:30 p.m. when I hit the trail, 4C/39F, breezy and with a drizzling rain. I eased into a comfortable pace finishing the first 4K/2.5M with an average pace of 5:31/K (8:53/M). After that it was too dark to see my watch so I just ran how I felt. I could just make out the outline of the trail as I ran along the edge of the forest from KM4 to about KM6, then it was just a matter of staying between the two tree lines as I turned and ran through the forest. I do have a cheap running lamp that I bring along, but I haven’t used it yet, other than to try it out once. I guess I am saving it for the next dog, wild animal, ghost or goblin that leaps out in front of me ;-)

Anyway for the last 3-4 kilometers I was running against the wind, and of course it started raining harder by then (like always?), so I was pretty soaked by the time I got back. On the other hand it wasn’t really so cold so it didn’t really bother me. I did do my cooldown and stretching inside, no since catching a cold at this stage of training. My average pace tonight for the 14K run was a respectable 5:39/K (9:06/M). It amazes me how much difference a few degrees temperature (and a couple thousand extra calories from the weekend) can make. I feel like I could almost go another round – well almost :-) I feel good anyway.

Tomorrow night I need to practice my freestyle at the pool. I was looking at a new (to me) book “The Swim Coaching Bible” by Dick Hannula and Nort Thornton, last night. They said one of the secrets of developing a good freestyle-style is to learn to relax and breath correctly. Along with this was a tip that a lot of beginners try to swim the freestyle way to fast, resulting in beating themselves to death within just a few minutes. Yep, that’s me! So tomorrow night I want to try it slow, I mean like slow motion, yeah sloooooow moooootioooon.

Of course if swimming is anything like my running it just won’t happen. Speaking of which I have found a revolutionary way of slowing down my long runs! Yes after punishing myself for most of the year by running my long runs too fast, I have found the solution: Running on icy roads at sub-freezing temperatures. It works, believe me!

Comments:
LOL - never thought of the ice as a training aid.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?