Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Crosstraining = Swimming

Last night was cross-training night. I stopped at the swimming pool on the way home and swam about 600 meters (12 laps). I still am struggling with the proper breast stroke technique, I swam too many years with my self-taught doggie-breast-stroke, it is definitely hard to break old habits.

I think running at a slower pace on Monday night was a good idea, my legs are feeling much better this morning. I have come to the conclusion that the next time I shoot for a personal best with a 10K I should do some speed work prior to the race (and maybe skip the mountain run the weekend before). The slower paced marathon training that I was doing the last 9 months was not a replacement for this.

I still haven’t talked to my wife about a March marathon yet. Call me chicken if you like, but lately she has been giving me that “you love your running more than me” look, so I know the timing is not right. My wife is a non-athletic type and does not even try to understand my “passion” for running. She tries to tolerate it because she knows it’s important to me, but I am an extremist when it comes to doing what I enjoy and admit I need to be reined in from time to time. It’s kind of like running in the dark, I have to watch my step so I don’t upset the balance.

Comments:
Timing is everything.

Great job with the swimming. I'm thinking of getting a 4 month pass to our pool/gym nearby. I've been ignoring my cross-training and that might get me motivated to go back to the pool.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?