Saturday, September 03, 2005

A Prayer and Thanks for Those Helping Katrina Victims

Tomorrow I am running a half-marathon race in the Rhineland-Pfalz region. This is kind of my dress rehearsal for the marathon in two weeks. I want to run around my planned marathon pace, about 6:00/K (9:39/M).

I have been spending entirely too much time today watching CNN, reading newspapers, surfing and just sitting in my chair going through the whole array of emotions concerning post-Katrina efforts in the south, particularly New Orleans.

I came across an old quote that spoke to me:

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows great enthusiasms, great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt

Say a prayer and thanks for those down in the trenches trying to do their best to help Katrina victims. The small acts of kindness, the unselfish assistance and caring means so much in that moment.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?