Friday, September 02, 2005

A Humid Hill Run

I am feeling much more relieved to hear that my family members from New Orleans are safe and out of harms way in Baton Rouge. From what I have read and seen on the news it’s getting quite crazy in some parts of the region.

Last night I decided to drive to our garden club in the neighboring town of Weingarten and run my hill route. It was a bit cooler 31C/88F, but with very high humidity. I really felt this as I wound my way up the first hill, it seriously kicked my butt. But once I got over the ridge and onto the rolling hills I fell into my groove and could run on cruise control. The storm clouds were starting to roll in as I made my way down the first major downhill portion of the route than turned and headed up heartbreak ridge 2. This second hill climb is a little more gradual but still kicked my butt, the humidity was making an incredible difference. On the other side I haven’t run the hill route for 3 weeks and it was only 24C/75F at that time.

Anyway I made it back to the garden club before the rain came and was even able to putter around and pull some weeds before heading home. I ran for 1:29:31, almost 2 minutes faster than the last time I had run that route, it was good know that I still have some condition.

My legs are a little sore this morning, probably a result of both not having run the hill route for awhile and not carrying anything to drink during the run. In regards to the latter, I have noticed that I seem to have more soreness the next day if I become too dehydrated during a run. I will have to experiment more with this theory in the future.

I will probably do my weight training tonight, but no more running until the half-marathon on Sunday morning. I was talking with my marathoner colleague (who just had surgery and has to sit out the Baden Marathon) about the HM, he warned me to keep it slow and don’t try to set any PR’s, the time is too short until the marathon on the 18th. His opinion is that if I go all out and tear up the legs they will not be optimal for the big race.

Sounds reasonable, what do you guys think?

p.s. I want to wish all of you who are running in New Haven this weekend good luck and have a great time!

Comments:
Glad your family is okay.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?