Wednesday, September 07, 2005

A 13K/8M Recovery? Run

After two days sitting at my desk at work I was getting pretty stiff so I was glad to head out the door for a run last night. My legs were still a little tired from my HM on Sunday, so I intended to maintain a nice recovery pace, after all I need to get those legs in shape for the big ‘M’. It was also 31C/88F outside, sunny, breezy and blue.

I was quite stiff the first kilometer or two, but I still cranked out a pace of 5:28/K (8:48/M). Hmm, too fast, 6:00/K (9:39/M) would be better, or even slower. So I slowed it down a bit, or least it felt that way. I fell into a comfortable pace and my mind wandered. I ran across two Nordic-walking chicks on the way, they must have been newbie’s, their form left something to be desired. I passed a farmer that was cutting his corn, I remember thinking how quickly the summer has passed.

Anyway I was just cruising along, totally enjoying my run. Finally at the 10K point, as is my habit, I glanced at my stop watch 52:47 – oops 5:17/K (8:30/M) pace. This time I did slow down, and finished the last few kilometers at around 6:00/K, so much for a recovery run.

My legs are tired and stiff this morning, no surprise considering my pace lately. On the other side I have no pain, cramps, aches or other side effects.

I am starting to get excited/terrified about the Baden Marathon on Sept. 18th. I feel much better prepared than my first marathon this past May. On the other hand the perfectionist side of me (or Taper Tommy) keeps whispering in my right ear that I could have done a lot more. I think this is a normal thought pattern for many runners.

I know that the marathon will not be easy. I also know that I can run a marathon! I have trained hard, experienced improvement, and am going to line up on the 18th with the intent of kicking butt and taking names!

Now if I can only make it through the tapering part...

Comments:
My blogger account is working...but I wanted to tell you to relax!!! It's almost here...susan
 
Hope you do great Jack!
 
i've got my first post-race run tonight...and i hope it goes as well as yours did!

we'll be here to talk you down off the ledge as taper madness sets it!
 
You will do great. I'm betting on a PR. Now where did I put my bookies number.
 
oh man i'm so not looking forward to the taper! do i really have to??? hehe. that is going to be a very new experience after all of this mileage buildup stuff!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?