Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Summer Again

Summer has returned with a vengeance, it was a hot, sunny 32C/90F as I hit the running trail at 5 p.m. last night. During Taper Time I have less mileage scheduled, but want to maintain a good tempo. So with this in mind my goal last night was a 14K/8.7M run at a 5:30/K (8:51/M) pace. I managed this pace for the first 3-4K, but than could feel myself speeding up. I felt good so let the legs carry me. I finished the first 10K in 53:30 and the 14K in 1:13:51. The average pace for the 14K/8.7M run was 5:17/K (8:29/M), pretty fast for me. If I had been running a half-marathon I would have set a PR if I continued at that pace:-)

In any case it was a good workout, a bit too fast considering the heat. In comparison temperatures for my run last Wednesday was 25C/77F and my long run this past Saturday morning 11C/52F (warming up to 17C/63F by the end of the run).

My legs were a bit sore this morning, I need to slow down just a bit when it is so hot outside. I may do a hill run tomorrow night, it helps keep the pace down.

I am slowly getting my weight back down to what it was before the pigout last weekend, 1 pound to go.

Hurricane Katrina Update:

No word from my brother and his family yet. They live in the Orleans Parish if I remember correctly. I am really not surpised that my family hasn't heard from them yet considering the entire infrastructure has been eliminated. They and all the people affected by this latest storm remain in our thoughts and prayers. It’s days like these that I wish I had Bill Gates wallet so I could truly make a difference in peoples lives in the distressed area.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?