Monday, August 15, 2005

The First Thousand Miles

A thousand miles, over 1600 kilometers, either way you look at it, it's a long way! This past weekend I put my first thousand miles of running for this year behind me.

Through snow, wind, rain, heat, and every imaginable combination that mother nature brought my way. On good days where everything clicked and bad days when I wanted to quit. Over snow-covered, mud-trodden, and cursed asphalt trails. When I think about what this old body through the last 8 months I can only sit here in bewilderment.

I am amazed at my success – the PR's, the first marathon, my own determination! But I am equally humbled by the less glorious artifacts - the blisters, the blood, the pain, the lost toenails, the constant fear of injury.

But over these many miles I have learned a lot. A lot about myself, that I can push myself a lot harder than I ever thought possible and the same time that I am not indestructible. But most importantly I learned that I am not like any other runner - I am me. Nothing to prove, except maybe to me, I am neither too fast for me or too slow for me, I am simply me.

And through my blog family I have learned that I am not alone, we often share the same struggles, anxieties, joy, dreams and desires.

I can’t wait to start the next thousand mile journey!

Comments:
Congratulations! The mileage matters little compared to the lessons you have learned from the journey.
 
Congratulations! Well done, and well said.
 
Happy 1000 Jack! No doubt there are many more miles to come!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?