Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Too Hot for Me!

Yesterday was a brutal day, 6 a.m. already 18C/65F and humid, by 1 p.m. 33C/92F! My non-air conditioned office was a sweat box, past lunch you could pretty much forget about doing any work that requires high concentration. Blah!

On the other side I had concentrated on drinking a lot of water throughout the day. By the time I got home, suited up, warmed up and out the door (4:30 p.m.) I was well hydrated and ready for my 14K/8.7M run. Other than the heat it was a beautiful day for a run, the humidity had decreased somewhat, at least that. The first 30 minutes of my route is over open asphalt and gravel trails, with no shade, brutal! Once I got into the forest it was somewhat better, but felt kind of sticky. Despite the heat I was trucking right along, finishing in 1:18:30, which is a 5:36/K (9:01/M) pace. For me this is my half-marathon pace. I was really starting to feel the heat as I popped out of the woods and ran the last 20 minutes over gravel and asphalt paths, again in the middle of fields, and no shade. I was pretty pooped by the time I got home, but a little time in my cool living room and a liter of water and I was good to go.

I am trying to get used to the heat, as my half-marathon is coming up in July. I ran this HM last year, it was 28C/83F, but the year before was 35C/95F. The course has some killer hills by the way.

Summary of Last Night's Training:

Warm-up;
1 set 15 pushups, 1 set 25 sit-ups;
14K/8.7M run; total time 1:18:30;
1 set 15 pushups, 1 set 25 sit-ups;
Cool down.
Conditions: 16:15; 33C/92F, sunny, beautiful!
Feeling after training: Thirsty, hot!

Diet Stats:

No change - 75kg/165lbs

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?