Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Crosstraining and New Running Shoes

Last night was cross-training night, 1 hour of walking (through stores) with my wife;), then my weight training. Day before yesterday was hot, yesterday was scorching, 36C/97F, sunny, blue skies and now breeze at all! Today is supposed to be even hotter! Blah!

After a round of shopping with my wife in mostly non-air conditioned stores, we had a light dinner and, after a few sharp objections from my wife, I did my weight training. As I mentioned the other day I do my training in the upper part of our shed, right under the un-insolated roof. I’m sure it was well over 40C/105F at 6 p.m. last night, did I mention we don’t have any windows up there! It was stifling, I’m sure my form suffered and I did my sit-ups and push-ups downstairs! My wife gave me one of her (are you nuts) looks as I came down the stairs, totally drenched and dripping with sweat (hey who needs a sauna!). Anyway after a stretch and my PU and SU’s I put my running shoes on and did a quick 3K run. As I was leaving I noticed my wife was looking up the phone number for the nut house in the telephone book ;-)...


Summary of Last Night's Training:

Warm-up;
1 set 15 pushups, 1 set 25 sit-ups;
1 set of weight training (WT) exercises;
1 set 15 pushups, 1 set 25 sit-ups;
3K run (18:15)
1 set 15 pushups, 1 set 25 sit-ups;
Cool down.
Conditions: 16:30; 36C/97F, sunny.
Feeling after training: Good.

Wake-up weight this morning: 75 kg/165 lbs


New Running Shoes Story:

My favorite sports store is having a sale this week on everything in stock in preparation for an expansion of their store. My wife and I took advantage of this and picked up a couple things. My wife was looking at the cycling shorts, I, of course, went straight to the running shoes. Having already run over 1100K/683M this year it is almost time to retire a pair of running shoes or two (I have four pairs). I brought one of my well worn pairs with me, along with a pair of running socks that I normally wear. I told the salesman working in the department that I am training for a marathon and asked him if he was a runner (yes, he ran his first marathon last year).

So feeling confident that he at least knew the difference between running shoes and tennis shoes, I showed him my old pair of Addidas shoes, mentioned that I have had good luck with the brand thus far and would prefer to stay with the brand. Unfortunately, the only Addidas he had left in my size were for severe overpronator’s, whereas I have more neutral feet.

So we went through a round of different shoes, Asics, Brooks, blah-blah. I was a little disappointed that they had dismantled the treadmills to make more room for their sale, so I could only jog around the store a little (talk about strange looks:-). I finally settled on a pair of Brooks Radius 05 with HydroFlow, Substance 257 and Cush-Pod technologies, whatever they are. For me they felt comfortable, seemed to have amble support, good padding – but not spongy, had good ventilation around the top of the toes and were wide enough (I have smaller, but wide feet). I have read that the upper padding on the Radius line shoes rides a little high on the ankles with some people, but it felt fine for me. I saved about 30 Euro / $36 US, not bad.

Other ramblings:

I was surfing through some of my favorite websites last night, came across the German Wandering Club page. There is a Marathon WALK and 50K WALK this weekend in the Black Forest about an hour from us. I started getting a nervous twitch in my mind, should I...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?