Monday, June 20, 2005

Cross-Training on a Hot Summer Day

Yesterday, as the temperature climbed to 30C/86F by 11:00 a.m. my wife announced that it was too hot and that she was going to stay inside. She set about doing her homework for her English class and I decided to take my mountain bike and check the distance of my long run that I made on Saturday. It took about an hour and a half to cover the 27K/16.7M, I was in no hurry, and the forest was still cool and fresh. I passed numerous people out for a bike ride, I guess they all wanted to escape the midday heat. As usual I forgot to charge the batteries for my digital camera, so no pictures again, maybe next time.

My wife had a nice lunch ready by the time I got back: tossed salad with olives and feta cheese, carrot salad, tomato salad, and wurst salad (stripes of bologna and cheese with oil and vinegar). Good eats for a hot day.

At 17:30 I did my weight training. I do my workout in the upper part of our shed, which is un-insulated and right under the roof, so gets rather HOT! As it was still 32C/90F outside, I would guess it most have been close to 38C/100F under the roof. In any case it was miserable doing my workout, I could hardly hang onto the weights do to perspiration. Whew!

I actually maintained my weight through the weekend, typically I gain a pound or two.

Summary of Last Night's Training:

Warm-up;
1 set 15 pushups, 1 set 25 sit-ups;
1 set of weight training (WT) exercises;
1 set 15 pushups, 1 set 25 sit-ups;
3K run (18:29)
1 set 15 pushups, 1 set 25 sit-ups;
Cool down.
Conditions: 16:30; 32C/90F, sunny.
Feeling after training: Tired due to heat.

Wake-up weight this morning: 75 kg/165 lbs
Weight lost since 01/01/2005: 5 kg/11 lbs
Goal weight by the end of June: 74 kg/163 lbs
Goal weight by Christmas: 70 kg/154 lbs

Other ramblings:

I decided to stay clear of the biker fest this weekend, call me boring, but I decided that drinking large quantities of beer was not the best thing for my training program or reputation. I guess the “before” picture that I posted a couple days ago got to me. It reminded me how far I have come and how quickly I can go back down that road if I don’t make quality decisions. So just call me a bore, I don’t care;-)

Comments:
Beer doesn't make a person more interesting, just sillier. It took me years to realize that. But beer does still taste good now and then.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?