Thursday, June 09, 2005

10K Race Training

After another busy day at work I was ready for a nice run by the time I got home last night. I considered taking my roller to our garden club so I could run my hill route again, but the storm clouds were rolling in and I frankly don’t like to drive my roller in the rain. My legs were also a bit tired from my rather fast paced 14K/8.7M run on Monday night (or my WT?). In any case with my 10K race coming up tomorrow night (Friday) I decided to run my 9.2K/5.7M route. I had planned on running at a nice easy 6:15-6:30K/10:04-10:28M pace, but as usual I pushed it. I averaged a 5:25K/8:43M pace and felt really good about it!

Tomorrow night at 7:30 is a 10K run in Ettlingen, an old historical town right next to the city of Karlsruhe. I am meeting a few (3-5) of my coworkers at the start. Last year it started pouring down rain right after we finished the run, so we didn’t stick around for the festivities. This year we are hoping we can at least get a beer in after the race. I read in the newspaper this morning that about a thousand participants are expected and that there will be live music.

The route consists of 3 laps around the older part of the city, with all the old timber-frame houses and such. It’s a nice scenic route, but the streets are brutal, 2.3K asphalt and about 1K cobblestone with each lap. My legs hurt for days after last year’s race. My race goal is to break last years time of 54:36 (5:28/K or 8:46M). The way I have been training this week I should be able to do this with one leg tied behind my back. A new PR would be nice, but trying to break 50:35 on these hard streets is just asking for injury, so this is not a priority!

Summary of Last Night's Training:

Warmup;
1 set 15 pushups, 1 set 25 sit-ups;
9.2K/5.7M run; total time 0:49:52.
1 set 15 pushups, 1 set 25 sit-ups;
Cool down.
Conditions: 16:15; 17C/63F, humid, windy, dark clouds (rained soon after).
Feeling after training: Legs tired, but emotionally high!

Diet Stats:

No change from yesterday.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?