Monday, May 30, 2005

What Drives Us?

If you have read my blog for any length of time you know that I am always evaluating, revaluating and reminiscing on past race performance. For me this is a mechanism for self-improvement - learning and improving from ones own mistakes. I usually take this too much to heart and am generally to self-critical. I read this on “Running in Place” this morning:

“Our mistakes don’t make or break us - if we’re lucky, they simply reveal who we really are, what we’re really made of.” ~ Donn Moomaw

This kind of jumped out at me and has left me thinking that I should lighten up and start getting back to my roots on running: Run for fun and run for fitness. I have been getting entirely too serious about running lately and have neglected both the fun and the (total) fitness aspect. My weigh loss has also reached a stand still.

So as I recover from my marathon I am trying to get back to my core reasons for running: weight loss, fitness, fun. What’s driving you these days?

Comments:
I try to focus on the fun and fitness, too. But I do think we can keep training, as long as we don't let the setbacks define us and weigh us down. You are doing great, Jack. Sorry to hear about your mom.
 
There are many things that keep me running but for the most part it has become the social and fun side of it. Through my running I have become very active in the community and got to know many people I might not have met otherwise.

Even though I know I will never be an "elite" there is still a little bit of competitiveness as well and finally there is the drive to be healthier.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?