Monday, May 30, 2005

What Drives Us?

If you have read my blog for any length of time you know that I am always evaluating, revaluating and reminiscing on past race performance. For me this is a mechanism for self-improvement - learning and improving from ones own mistakes. I usually take this too much to heart and am generally to self-critical. I read this on “Running in Place” this morning:

“Our mistakes don’t make or break us - if we’re lucky, they simply reveal who we really are, what we’re really made of.” ~ Donn Moomaw

This kind of jumped out at me and has left me thinking that I should lighten up and start getting back to my roots on running: Run for fun and run for fitness. I have been getting entirely too serious about running lately and have neglected both the fun and the (total) fitness aspect. My weigh loss has also reached a stand still.

So as I recover from my marathon I am trying to get back to my core reasons for running: weight loss, fitness, fun. What’s driving you these days?

Comments:
There are many things that keep me running but for the most part it has become the social and fun side of it. Through my running I have become very active in the community and got to know many people I might not have met otherwise.

Even though I know I will never be an "elite" there is still a little bit of competitiveness as well and finally there is the drive to be healthier.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?