Sunday, May 15, 2005

Rock Steady

Last night I went for a 14K/8.7M run. The weather was warm (22C/71F) and humid with overcast skies. I concentrated on maintaining a 6 minute KM, and finished the run in 1:23:21, which is a pace of 5:57/K (9:35/M).

This is my proposed pace for the marathon – which should get me over the finish safely in under 4 ½ hours. I’ve already made my mind up that I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself, so I am going to run at a comfortable pace and finish – this will not be a record breaking thing – just me against the 42K/26M. I’m already signed up for my second marathon in September, that will be about PR stuff.

My motto for the marathon: Rock steady and drive on!

I think I am pretty much over the taper madness, now I’m entering my discipline phase, a frame of mind that I try to draw upon when I have a mountain to move. Basically I am walking down the long hallway and closing the door on all the thoughts, activities etc. that don’t need to be open right now.

I am also trying to keep my mind active with high concentration activities, anything to keep me from dwelling on my mission to come. Yesterday for example I spent half the day updating my genealogy website. Today I cooked lunch for my sweety – homemade meatballs, sauce, and noodles (forgot to buy spaghetti), and green salad. Tomorrow is another holiday (I love it), so probably will bar-b-que.

Blogger seems to be blocking people from viewing blogs on occasion is anyone having trouble with this? I’ve tried it from several PC’s and don’t seem to be having any trouble, but they all go through the same provider.

Happy running!

Comments:
I can still see you. :-). But I did hear others have had the problem. At least I am sure I read it somewhere.

That sound like a great motto...I might just have to borrow it someday.
 
"Rock steady and drive on!"

You should have this written on the back of your race shirt. It would be very cool.

Glad the taper madness is calming down. Definately block out negative thoughts and people this week. Just happy things that make you strong mentally.

You are so going to rock this race, Jack!
 
I was having trouble on Friday...once w/commenting and once with just viewing your site!

I wanted to tell you how glad I was that I could be of some assistance! I think it's so important to share our experiences with each other so we don't feel so alone in our thoughts! So...after your marathon, you have to pass along all your wisdom and wit for the next person!

And there will be an "After" (the marathon) and it will taste so sweet!

(I really liked your hallway metaphor...I'll have to try that one some time.)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?