Monday, May 30, 2005

First Day of New Diet + Multiple Cross-training

Today marks the first day that I am getting off my butt and trying to get back on my diet. For months I have been eating for energy to do my marathon training. For the next 3-4 weeks I am keeping the length of my long runs down, that means prime time to lose some pounds.

Weight on January 1st: 80kg/176lbs
Wake-up weight this morning: 77kg/169lbs
Goal weight by the end of June: 74kg/163lbs
Goal weight by Christmas: 70kg/154lbs

I did my first set of weight training exercises when I came home tonight.

I warmed up, then did a set of 15 push-ups and 25 sit-ups.

Being a total newbie to any weight training I used light dumbbells and did 15 repetitions of the following:

Half-squats
Bench press
Single-arm row
Leg raise & knee-to-chest
Wall push-up
Shoulder press
Bicep curl
Side bend
Tricep kickback
Abdominal curl-up
Abdominal knees-to-chest (ouch!)
Lower-back extension
Reverse lunge
Balancing exercises (almost fell on my face)

I concentrated mostly on learning the correct form, not as easy as you’d thunk! Feeling macho I finished with 2 sets of 10 squats with the barbell and 20kg.

I finished with 15 push-ups and 15 sit-ups.

I biked 7.2K/4.5M as fast as I could pedal my mountain bike (note: strong headwind most of the way).

I jogged 2K/1.3M

I finished with 15 more push-ups and 15 sit-ups.

I cooled down and stretched.

I would appreciate any critic here.

Comments:
I think one set, 15 reps is a good way to get started. Do that a couple weeks, then maybe up the weight and break it down into 2 sets of 8-10 reps. Good variety - looks like you've hit all the major muscles at least once. Sounds like you're off to a great start!
 
This critic says ....

Wow!

:)

(not the most eloquent critic today, I know.)
 
Ditto on the "wow". You are off to an excellent start. You may not feel it until two days away but I suspect initially you are going to have some serious soreness, just because its been a while. Don't worry, it will get better.

One set is definately the way to start. I move the weights up when I hit 15 reps, but you may want to hold there for a few sessions unless it feels real easy.

Looks good, Jack!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?